The system is broken - and we can fix it...

The city of Wilmington is in the process of becoming a truly awesome city - a place where entrepreneurs, artists, educators, and businesses create incredible things.

Since October of 2011, the citizens, business community, arts community, Wilmington City Officials, and others have been engaged in improving the parking and parking enforcement issues in the city of Wilmington.

Huge progress has been made and the direction we are going as a community is extremely positive!

This blog chronicles the efforts of all who helped make this happen...

Friday, January 13, 2012

Mayor Baker agrees the signs are confusing

From today's News Journal:



Wilmington Mayor James M. Baker got another ticket last month. This time, even though he has a problem with the system, he's going to pay it.
Baker was cited on Dec. 20 for parking his vehicle in a downtown loading zone near the Govatos Chocolates store. "Its confusing signage," the three-term mayor said. But he said he was wrong and will pay the fine.

1 comment:

  1. I'm happy mayor Baker gets such prompt responses to his appeals. My nightmares began as soon as I moved back to Wilmington, in 2002. I recieved numerous tickets for parking in front of my home with a parking restriction of 2 hours, despite a residential parking sticker properly displayed. I also was ticketed in the same zone for same reason while patronizing a business. I was told by the parking authority my sticker was only for use in front of my home... not true. it took me as long as 7 months to get some of these tickets voided, after sending them copies of registration, sticker number and my license. Time consuming. Always under the threat of the boot. I kept all documents in my glove compartment not that it mattered. I finally was booted while working 2009. I was able to appeal in writing within 48 hours. The office was open from if I recall correctly 9am to 3:30 pm. Hard to manage if you work. It took me at least 5 phone calls to determine where to take written appeal. The city? The booting co.? Anyway i finally got the correct place or so I thought. Instructed to go to Wilm. police Dept on 4th street, give to officer and they will send it through inter-office mail to appeals office located in the building. I was just under the wire as i spent 45 minutes looking for "The municipal building" never being told it was in the police station. The officer's behavior was unbelievable to say the least. He could not send the letter without an envelope. Humbly I asked him if he had one I could use. He said no and walked away. I then asked if he had a piece of paper i could fold letter in to use as an envelope, he handed me a 2" x 2" piece of scrap paper. I finally asked hom if he had a copy machine ,he stated yes. I asked him for a piece of that paper, surprised he reluctantly gave me a piece. long, long story short, i was told i was sent 3 notices about this ticket that was issued in april. I had recieved none. I had gotten another ticket in june and promptly paid that, so why would i not pay an old ticket. they couldnt see that. Went to appeal about 2 months later and was promptly told I was at the wrong place, by a Ms. pettaway, "We dont do appeals on red light tickets here" "but ill hear your apppeal" ??? She promply told me the appeal was denied. I was all willing to pay the ticket but wanted to be reimbursed the $300.00 or so in boot monies. She insisted the tickets were sent and even at one point stated I knew I got the tickets. Anyway my appeal was rejected. I was looking to purchase a new home, i wanted to stay in Wilm., but told realtor i needed a driveway. Unable to find a suitable home for me with a driveway, I moved out of the city limits. All as I can say is that I feel bad for the person who gets thier car booted, does not have the available resources to get it unbooted, looses thier car for an error on the part of the city of Wilmington. AAAHHHH finally got my frustration out

    ReplyDelete