The system is broken - and we can fix it...

The city of Wilmington is in the process of becoming a truly awesome city - a place where entrepreneurs, artists, educators, and businesses create incredible things.

Since October of 2011, the citizens, business community, arts community, Wilmington City Officials, and others have been engaged in improving the parking and parking enforcement issues in the city of Wilmington.

Huge progress has been made and the direction we are going as a community is extremely positive!

This blog chronicles the efforts of all who helped make this happen...

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

An illegitimate ticket averted...

Robert C. Auer just sent this report a few minutes ago:

I had my incident an hour ago.
1201 N. Market. Lots of parking on 12th St. Put 25¢ in meter. (I'm and electrical inspector and had one at that building.) Came out and was walking behind parking guy. He didn't see me and looked at the meter which plainly said 3 minutes left. He walked to the rear of my vehicle and was starting to write a ticket; when I walked to my vehicle and mentioned that I still had 3 minutes left. He turned and walked off.

3 comments:

  1. I appealed a similar situation in which I actually received a ticket. I came out to the car and the meter still had 6 minutes left and I also had a $40 ticket. I appealed and still have not heard back from the city. However, I went online to check the status of the ticket and the fine had doubled to $80. I've been trying to call the number listed on the ticket for the past 3 days and conveniently, the number is always busy. However, at 4PM sharp, it goes to a nice voicemail message letting you know to call back during business hours. Insane.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Strong evidence for incentives for the outsourced ticket-writing contractor to generate tickets for the city... whether legitimate or not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's a story of the Wilmington Revenue Department's strong-arm enforcement tactics. In the past 30 days, I have been booted twice outside of my house. The first was removed before I had a chance to see anything put the remnants of the sticker plastered on my driver's window. (A friend had stopped over and mentioned I had a boot. By the time I investigated it was gone.) The second took two days to have removed. In both instances I was not "boot eligible", as all my tickets are under appeal. It is a damn good thing I don't always need my car.

    ReplyDelete