The system is broken - and we can fix it...

The city of Wilmington is in the process of becoming a truly awesome city - a place where entrepreneurs, artists, educators, and businesses create incredible things.

Since October of 2011, the citizens, business community, arts community, Wilmington City Officials, and others have been engaged in improving the parking and parking enforcement issues in the city of Wilmington.

Huge progress has been made and the direction we are going as a community is extremely positive!

This blog chronicles the efforts of all who helped make this happen...

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

How this all started...

My friend had received a notice in the mail that they had an overdue parking ticket and that they owed the city of Wilmington more than $100 and that the fine would continue to grow until they paid the money.
So, my friend went to the Department of Finance on the 5th Floor of the Louis L. Redding City/County Building at 800 North French Street in Wilmington, Delaware (zip code 19801).
Apparently the conversation went something like this:

Friend: I just got this notice in the mail saying that I am past due for a parking ticket and I didn’t know I had a parking ticket until just now.
Wilmington Official: Are you here to pay your ticket and late fine?
Friend: Well, yes, I want to get this cleared up, if I had known I had a parking ticket I would have paid it right away – is there any way to take off the late fine, since I’m just now finding out about this?
Wilmington Official: It’s your responsibility to know if you have a parking ticket.
Friend: Wait, are you saying I should call regularly to find out if I have a parking ticket?
Wilmington Official: Yes
Friend: um, OK, that’s good to know in the future, but since this is the first time, can I just pay for the parking ticket?
Wilmington Official: According to our computers, since you haven’t paid the ticket yet, we can boot your car.
Friend: Really?
Wilmington Official: Yes, you are a scofflaw and you probably don’t pay your other bills on time.

When I heard this I was shocked!
I didn’t realize it was my responsibility to make sure I didn’t have unpaid parking tickets, I do not want to be a scofflaw – I want to be a responsible citizen.
I’m sharing this because I believe you, too, want to be a responsible citizen.
So, starting today, we should make sure that we do the right thing:
Call the Wilmington Department of Finance/Division of Revenue at 302-576-2400 between 9:30 AM and 4:00 PM and say the following:
Hello, my name is _____________ and I understand it is my responsibility as a good citizen to make sure I do not have any unpaid parking tickets. Could you please check to see if I have a parking ticket? My license plate number is _____________.
Thank you very much for your help.
Again, if you want to be a good citizen and not a scofflaw, then you should call 302-576-2400 to make sure you do not have any unpaid parking tickets.
Oh, and since we all learn new things from these experiences, I encourage you to share any new information you gain from your phone calls in the comments section.
I hope this effort at public service is useful and effective.

No comments:

Post a Comment